Sunday, May 01, 2011

Chicken cacciatore for the freezer

I have enjoyed reading and cooking from Family Feasts for $ 75 a Week . Of course, I make my own substitutions and changes, based on what I have on hand. This week, I made a version of the chicken cacciatore from the cookbook.

Total cost for 6 servings: $ 9.37 total, or approximately $ 1.51 per serving. I am using the 6 serving breakdown, though I think with the slight changes here and there, and our appetites, this will actually be 7 or 8 servings.

I used frozen onion and peppers, since I did not have any green peppers on hand.

Cost breakdown:
Chicken, approximately 1 ¼ lbs: $ 3.75
½ stick butter: $ .42
½ bag frozen onions/peppers: $ .50
2 ribs celery: $ .40
Minced garlic (I used about 1 Tbl or so from a jar I have on hand): $ .15
28 oz can crushed tomatoes: $ 1.00
8 oz mushrooms: $ 1.66
16 oz egg noodles: $ 1.49

Note: I do not include spices when I figure out the cost, simply because I don’t have the patience to sit and figure out how many ¼ teaspoon servings are in a jar of paprika or cumin.

Looks pretty good, no? Now I’m going to tuck it into the freezer for dinner later in the week. All I will have to do is make the noodles and heat the chicken and we will be good to go!



Yes, I am a messy, messy cook. Oops!

No comments: