Saturday, August 27, 2005

Farm Fresh

How I love going to the farm! We have a share at Goodwill at Homefields Farm, a community supported ag program. It's great. Once a week, we go and pick up our share and then bring it home. No worries about fighting pests or rabbits or pulling weeds AND we're doing A Good Thing by supporting the program.

Usually, I try to go on Thursday or Friday, but that just didn't happen this week. I had planned on going yesterday, but instead spent almost 5 hours trying to set up my grandmother's computer. Actually, it was 10 minutes worth of computer set up and nearly 4 1/2 hours worth of figuring out how to rearrange her apartment for it so she wouldn't have a heart attack when she got home. But it was worth it, actually. Normally, we would have picked up potatoes in addition to what you see here (just a sampling and hey, I'm still learning all about this photo thing):

But by the time I got there today, they were nearly out of potatoes. So... I received a really cool Asian eggplant! I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet, but I'll figure something out.

Today's share was:

  • Sungold cherry tomatoes. These look a little green, but that's on purpose. I snack on them as they are and I love the hint of tartness at this stage.

  • Onions and garlic

  • 3 pounds of carrots

  • Bell peppers

  • Spaghetti squash

  • 6 pounds tomatoes. These will make an awesome sauce.

  • Melon

  • Eggplant
I could have picked more cherry tomatoes, basil, okra, tomatillos, hot peppers and herbs, but it was beginning to rain and I'm still pretty stocked from last week.

My husband is away for the next week or so - now I have to figure out just what to do with all of this!

No comments: