Monday, September 19, 2005

Why isn't it fall yet?

Normally, I love this time of the year. It starts to cool off and I start really getting back into cooking and baking. It was 90 degrees at the faire yesterday - that is NOT baking weather!

However, I have a stash of pumpkins, acorn squash, butternut squash and spaghetti squash all begging to be made into something. Little by little I've been cooking the pumpkin down and preparing it for bread and pies, though I think the one pumpkin will be saved to serve stew in.

Having picked up corned beef the other day, I decided what the heck, let's try this... corned beef, 2 bottles of Harps Lager, some water, green onions, carrots and two sliced up acorn squash, in the crockpot since just before 7 am this morning. It SMELLS good so far. We'll see how it tastes!

Now, if only autumn would hurry up and get here!

edited to add: Well, it sounded like a good idea and everything sure smelled good, but the lager, combined with the acorn squash, made everything far too bitter. It was too strong for the rest of the meal. What a bummer. It sure looked pretty!

No comments: